Date of Update: 7/9/19
Each Spring the graduate students in the Philosophy Department elect two of their number to serve as Graduate Student Representatives for the following academic year.
Graduate Student Representatives 2019-20
The Graduate Student Representatives are expected to:
- attend department meetings where they act as liaisons between graduate students and faculty, communicating the needs of the graduate students to faculty members and participating in departmental decisions, including decisions about the graduate curriculum, on behalf of the graduate students.
- serve on the Appointments Committee where they play a role in the hiring choices of the department.
- solicit volunteers for departmental committees that require graduate student members, including the committee responsible for organizing the annual Princeton-Rutgers Graduate Philosophy Conference.
- assist in the recruitment of prospective graduate students, including initial communication about visits and arranging appointments and lodging.
- welcome incoming graduate students by answering any questions they may have about the program, organizing orientation activities, and pairing them with older students in their areas of interest.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
Graduate Student Committees 2018-19
|COMPASS||Adele Watkins, Joy Shim|
|Princeton Workshop in Social Philosophy (PWISP) (weekend conference)||Joy Shim|
|PhilSoc (2-3)||Kyle Landrum, Brendan Kolb, Patrick Miller|
|Social (2)||Kyle Landrum, Brett Karlan, Patrick Miller|
|Grad Conference (3)||(No Princeton-Rutgers conference this year)|
|Princeton Workshop in Normative Philosophy (PWNP) (3)||Thomas Lambert, Erik Zhang, Joseph Moore, Sam Fullhart|
|Paper Tigers (1)||Ian McKeachie|
|Early Modern Conference||Alejandro Naranjo Sandoval, Claudia Dumitru, Domenica Romagni|
|Receptions||All first year PHI grad students (7 students)|
|Course Allocation (2)||Ian McKeachie, Claudia Dumitru|
|Classical Philosophy (2)||Claudia Yau, Daniel Kranzelbinder|
|Modern Philosophy (3)||Haley Brennan, Hao Dong|
|Library & Computers (1)||Claudia Dumitru|
|Career Development (1-2)||Alejandro Naranjo Sandoval, Alex Meehan|
|Minorities and Philosophy (MAP)||Joy Shim, Alejandro Naranjo Sandoval, Sonny Kim (Politics)|
|MAP Undergrad Reading Group||Eleanor Gordon-Smith, Haley Brennan, Bridget Brasher|
|Graduate Representatives (2)||Claudia Dumitru, Joy Shim|
|Prospectives Visit Committee||Ian McKeachie, Eleanor Gordon-Smith|
(MLE) Reading Group
|Ellie Cohen, Chris Register, Alisabeth Ayars|
(MLE) Speaker Series
The Committees have no chairs.
Former Graduate Student Representatives
Elena Di Rosa
Alejandro Naranjo Sandoval
Rachel Cristy/Yena Lee